Monday, July 30, 2007

Send the flying monkyes!


My husband LOVES monkeys. I call him monkey. So when I was in etsy chat and this young lady said she had sewn a flying monkey I wanted to see. It was SO cute! I asked if she was going to sell them and she wasn't sure at the time. But i told her I wanted one for my husband and she said okay :D A while later she opened her shop and shortly after I bought Gamwich (a special order she made exactly as I asked) for my husband as a birthday gift from my kids. HE LOVES HIM!! Please visit her shop at http://www.childofhope.etsy.com and while you are at below in and interview she has been so kind as to answer for me and for all of us to know a little about the girl behind the monkey! lol



Dkjewels~Can you tell us a little about yourself?


Childofhope~ My name is Sara Hankins, I'm 24, and I'm currently living in White Lake, Michigan. I love to cook, play piano, and I'm just starting to learn how to paint with watercolors. I have two purebred Ragamuffin cats that are adorable, and spoiled rotten because of it. :) I also have my B.A. in psychology, and although I'm looking to enter a new career path right now, I was a preschool teacher, and have been in the childcare industry since I was 18.


Dkjewels~What was your very first sewing project?


Childofhope~ The very first thing I sewed was a monkey back in April, believe it or not. I did him out of muslin and light blue felt. He was a real experiement. I made all the limbs too skinny, and when I went to turn him around I realized that I sewed one of his limbs into his body. Oops! But I never sewed anything before, and I was so proud of myself. I will never sell that little monkey.



Dkjewels~What inspires you?


Childofhope~ I am inspired by so many things around me. I find inspiration for my toys from children, and my own childhood. I try to make things that I would have loved as a child. I use colors and patterns I love, and try to make things as soft and snuggly as possible. With anythiing I make, I make sure that it's something I would have loved myself as a child. That way nothing is second rate, but always new and fun


Dkjewels~ Do you have plans to make other items in the future? If so what?


Childofhope~ Of course! I have all kinds of ideas for future items. I actually made a sketch of a dragon along side my first flying monkey sketch, but I can't quite figure out how I'm going to do him yet. So if I can work it out, there may be some dragons flying around my shop. I have ideas for toys that go along with the back story of Child of Hope Creations. I haven't posted anything about it in my shop as of yet, but I'll give you a sneak peak. Every Child of Hope Creation come from a magical land, far far away, with snow capped mountains, crystal blue lagoons, deep enchanted forests, white fluffy clouds, a bright shining castle, and warm sunshiney days. I won't spoil the story to tell you why some of them appear in this world. I'll only say that if you're a lucky one, you might see them come alive right before your very eyes. (But only if the grownups aren't around.) Look for more to come soon!


Dkjewels~What are you working on now?


Childofhope~Right now my newest endevour is fairies. Cute little fairies with soft colorful wings, adorable little dresses, and loads of bright, pretty yarn hair to play with. I love making them because dolls were my favorite things growing up. I give them a ton of hair because doing my dolls' hair was a must for me as a girl. I really hope they sell well.



Dkjewels~ Of your creations what is your favorite?


Childofhope~Wow that's a hard question. I mean, I love my monkeys because they were my first design, but I also love my new fairies. I guess my favorite, if I HAVE to choose, would be my flying monkeys. They're so different and fun. I've never seen a flying monkey doll before, and so I love how unique they are. Still, all my creations are made with such love and care. They're all near and dear to my heart.


Dkjewels~What can we expect to see in the future?


Childofhope~In the very near future you can expect to see many more outfits and dresses for the fairies to be filling up my shop. I'm also making little sleep sacks for the dolls. I may sell some as sets, because they might coordinate with the dress the fairy is wearing. I have a few more ideas up my sleeve for fairy accessories, but that's what's in the works right now.
A special thanks to www.childofhope.etsy.com for lending us great pictures of her creations. And Also to the monkey for being so good during this interview.

5 comments:

Sew Sassy Sandy said...

Nice interview! Enjoyed reading it.

ChildofHope said...

Thank you so much dk! You're such a sweety!

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

Clive, the green monkey, is my favorite. I have him hearted with all intentions of purchasing him around Christmas for my nephew;) Love the blog:)

Heather Lynn White said...

these are very cool!

Made By Tammy said...

These Monkey are Adorable!